Thursday, January 12, 2012

Tel Aviv Museum

Today we went to the museum. We saw an exhibit titled "Running in Circles" which was a modern art exhibit of circles presented in various ways. There was also one titled "Ex Libris" which was an interesting presentation of a library. It was two circular bookshelves, but there were no books, so the room had an empty feeling. There was a rather large exhibit of Israeli art, after which my brother was tired so we went home. Then we went outside to the large area in front of the museum.

It was a fairly warm night. The sky was dark blue, the clouds gray and clearly defined. The lights from surrounding buildings twinkled. I could see the silhouette of a street musician against the museum's wide bright windows, his merry trumpet music floating over the street. Someone was selling soft pretzels. "Hot pretzels!" he yelled. "Three for ten shekels!" We bought four for fifteen shekels. They were warm, soft, salty. The night was alive with people - the museum is open until 10 on Thursdays. Children crowded the pretzel seller and many stopped to listen to the trumpeter.

The biggest thing for me was that I felt like I belonged. It wasn't during the school day, so no one would look at me and think, "Why isn't she at school?" And it didn't feel foreign, walking the streets. Already I've got a sense of where some things are, unlike the times when we were only here for three weeks and I followed my relatives everywhere. Being in the city, abuzz with noise, feels right somehow. I suppose I've got city blood in my veins.

Cups of tea: 7

No comments:

Post a Comment