Sunday, January 29, 2012

Freedom

Today I finished my homework reasonably early - at around 4:15 - so I decided to use my freedom here.

I tossed two cameras, two notebooks, and three pens into a bag, grabbed my key, made sure my cell phone wasn't out of battery, and informed my mom I was going to Park Hayarkon, which is a park around the Yarkon, a river that runs through Tel Aviv. "Yarkon" is related to "yarok," or green, since it is said that the water reflects the trees around it. This time of year it looks like watery mud, too dirty to see through but not dense enough to step on. However, I have been going there for as long as I can remember, and the park itself is beautiful.

It felt good to get out. Sometimes I like walking alone more than walking with others - I can linger over things that catch my fancy and walk fast if I like. It lets me notice things. I am a listener and watcher anyway, not as much of a conversationalist generally.

I was planning to sit somewhere and write - there is no shortage of benches - but I ended up just finding pictures to take and enjoying Golden Hour. I walked a little farther than I usually do, going down close to the dirty water and taking photos. The day was crisp, but not cold in the least, and clear - my favorite kind of day. I found a beautifully made wooden bridge - I loved its simplicity - and walked across. The boards were springy and I could hear every one of my steps echoing against the surface of the water.

On the other side of the Yarkon, I visited the fountain, where a few years ago my cousins and I made small boats out of eucalyptus bark. I found a hoopoe, which is the national bird of Israel, and made my way back across the river. I began to run, faster and faster. I am free. It was a clear day and I am not depressed. I am not depressed.

I am free.

Cups of tea: 34

No comments:

Post a Comment