Sunday, January 15, 2012

School: First Day

Today was the first day of school here. A big day, I suppose. I was rather disoriented. It feels like school, but at the same time it doesn't.

Today a lot of what I did was sit in my seat and do nothing. In the first class, I barely paid any attention; the teacher said I didn't have to take the notes. I came in halfway through the lesson anyhow, so it didn't matter. One girl was enlisted to help me out throughout the day - people told me that she was the nicest girl in the class, and the least hyperactive and crazy. She's also a good student.

Coming here is somewhat of a shock, but at the same time I was expecting it. The kids in my class are far wilder than in America. It's a good thing we have recess, otherwise the whole place would be a total madhouse. And during recess, music plays loudly. There is a small kiosk in one of the courtyards, where you can buy breads and chocolates and candy. There's a snack machine with all sorts of unhealthy goodies.

The schedule is...interesting. There is one day where half of my classes are math. Most of the days I do go to school during what is called something like zeroeth period, which starts at 8 am, but on Sundays and Fridays I start in first period - 8:45. It's the only middle/high school in Tel Aviv in which 8:00 isn't the time first period starts. Sunday I end at 1, Monday at 2, Tuesday at 2:45, Wednesday and Thursday at 3:30, and Friday at 12:15. It's a fairly convenient schedule, although I'm not too happy about the 8:00-3:30 days. That's not much fun. At least Friday is a short day...

I just realized today how alone I would be without internet. I mean, the people at school are nice, but I don't know them as well as my friends at home. I have my family, but no close friends here yet. It was startling, just realizing that. It feels like I'm stranded, alone in a wide world. And it's only been a week since I saw them last.

Cups of tea: 13; 14 if you count the one I'm drinking now

No comments:

Post a Comment