Saturday, January 28, 2012

It's Kind of a Funny Story: Book Recommendation!

Today I finished It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini, a book which was actually recommended to me by a friend.

The book is about Craig, a freshman at a very competitive high school, who is depressed. He doesn't exactly know why - all he knows is that it's hard to do anything, hard to get up in the morning, hard to get through school, hard to deal with the pressure, hard to stomach any food at all. His grades are going down and it becomes a cycle. Finally it becomes so hard that he almost tries to kill himself, so he checks himself into a hospital. There he attempts to find recovery, or as he calls it, "The Shift," something he's been trying but unable to do for a long time, even with the help of therapists and psychologists.

This book really spoke to me because I have been through some of it. I got depressed for the same reason as Craig, and although I could always eat and I wasn't suicidal, he thinks the same thoughts as I did and looks at the world the same way. He also has the same thoughts about getting out of it - he knows he has to because if he keeps living like that he'll die. I don't know how reading it would be for someone who was never depressed, but it is a very powerful book.

Cups of tea: 33

No comments:

Post a Comment