Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Stars

Today was probably the first entirely clear day we've had here. And tonight is the first clear night I remember.

The reason it matters to me is the stars.

I love stars, astronomy, all that stuff. To think that we're looking into the past, yet into the beyond - that's mind-blowing. And it's hard to get your head around the enormity of the universe, the vast expanse out there - and we may or may not be the only life forms in it.

But what matters to me most is the connection it brings to us on earth. Maybe, thousands of miles away, there is someone else, looking up at the sky, just as I am. I found Orion tonight - it's probably the only constellation I'd recognize anywhere - and it's significant to me because I know that back home they can see it too. Maybe they were staring out the window during school just as I was looking out there. They couldn't see the stars just as I could, right at that moment - but it doesn't matter.

I don't know why the sky and stars mean so much to me, but if you think about it, the sky is one thing that binds us together. In fact, we are biologically geared to find blue a comforting color because of the sky (and the ocean), which is something we can always count on. Packages and products are often blue because of this. It's actually very interesting how we're programmed to respond to our surroundings.

You never know what opportunities lie out there. So look up at the sky - you never know who's looking there too.

Cups of tea: 19

1 comment:

  1. Please don't kill yourself with all the tea you are drinking >.< You don't recognize big dipper? T^T

    :D

    ReplyDelete