Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Writing

I was asking my friend over chat right now what I should blog about. She came up with a respectably long list of ideas (including "your awesome best friend"). I didn't use any of her topics. Generally when people suggest ideas I don't use them, but it makes me come up with my own. So, what to blog about? WRITING.
I was quite surprised at the fact that I have not yet ranted about writing. It's quite a good topic to rant about.
I don't know about the rest of you, but I love writing. It isn't always necessarily fun as much as it is something I sort of need to do in some way, shape or form. I am not constantly bombarded with ideas, so that's not my reason, but it's more that it's in my DNA somehow. I have liked writing for as long as I can remember, pretty much. The first story I wrote was titled "Beautiful Funny Land" and its yet-unfinished state reflects the state of most of my fiction writing today: abandoned or stocked in the back of my mind somehow. But fiction isn't all I write - I absolutely love poetry and memoirs. Poetry is concise and short, and you are supposed to use fancy language, which is enormous fun. Memoirs are awesome because there's no need to make up anything, but you get to use awesomely elaborate language and narratives. But making things up can be fun as well. You get to lie and be praised for it!
I don't know precisely why I write, but one of the reasons is that it lets me say and do things that I can't in real life. Secrets, thoughts, and feelings can come up vaguely in my writing. If I'm angry, I can just unleash it onto my characters. You can tell I've had a bad day when prominent characters die or are in unusually difficult circumstances.
Writing is something I was born to do. Some people like to draw, some like to run, some like to collect famous last words, but I write. And I love it.
Anybody notice the Looking For Alaska reference? Such a good book...

1 comment:

  1. One of the reasons I write is because can I do and say things that I can't in real life through my characters too! (Do you think that's a reason that a lot of people write?)

    ReplyDelete