Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Internet

So when we get back from New York, lo and behold, a pipe is busted.
Not to mention that our internet, TV, and phones are down. That's more of a problem. Lovely, right?
It was really weird not having connections. Why is it that something we rely on so much breaks so easily? And we really do rely on it a lot. News, entertainment, information.
Being internet-free was a bit annoying, but it also made me realize how much I do on the internet. I make plans, I figure out what is going on in the world, I read, I get inspired, and so much more. Now I sound like an advertisement.
But my point is that we rely so much on this relatively new technology. Only twenty years ago, not so many people were using it seriously. And now look. Our society is based on internet. Anyone who doesn't have it is considered extremely old-fashioned, but a generation ago you were lucky to have a computer in your house. It's a bit scary how fast technology moves.
What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you. A situation similar to yours happened in my house and it was surprising how much we rely on the internet. And even when the power goes out, it's surprising how many things use power. But, of course, electricity isn't as new as the internet. I sometimes wish I lived maybe twenty years earlier because life back then wasn't as revolved around virtual things. But, I suppose the internet has helped society in A LOT of ways.

    ReplyDelete