Wednesday, December 14, 2011

On Being Bilingual

So I am bilingual. I have a few friends who, like me, have parents of another nationality (i.e. not American).
Being bilingual has never been anything special to me - obviously, it's been with me my whole life, from Hebrew being my first language to this year, going on sabbatical to Israel. I never thought about it much before now - I just took it for granted that I was, in that way, special. But as I look at what spending more than 3 weeks at a time in Israel will be like, I realize that it's a really different kind of life. Speaking a different language at home. Being of two or more nationalities. Learning two alphabets. Knowing two countries.
It's especially saddening to me when I look to the future. I am a worrier, so I worry over everything. Where will I live if I grow up? If I stay here, I will miss Israel. If I stay in Israel, I will miss America. Yes, I do think about that. Some of my friends have their entire dream life planned out. All I know for now is that I will write. Maybe English, maybe Hebrew. Maybe here, maybe in Israel. How am I supposed to know for sure? I have more options than most.
Do you worry about your future? What about you, bilingual friends? Have you thought about it yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment