Friday, December 16, 2011

Harry Potter

I figured I should really make a post about this.
Harry Potter is, as I have mentioned, a big part of my life. I consider myself like Hermione Granger, a total nerdy know-it-all, even though she's braver than I am. One of the things I like about Harry Potter is that it is an intelligent franchise, based on a brilliantly written series of books. I will be forever indebted to Mr. West, my fourth grade teacher, who introduced the wonderful series to me. Both the movies and the books are beautifully imperfect. And the person who started it all - the amazing Ms. J. K. Rowling - is now my hero.
Last summer, with the release of Deathly Hallows part 2, some said that Harry Potter was over. I will agree that a part of it died with the final appearance of the jaggedly written title on the big screen. But in some ways, Harry Potter will never die. What about us, the fans? What about Pottermore? What about Wizarding World? Harry Potter was an amazing phenomenon that will stay alive as we move into the future. I myself will not let this die. And how can it? Harry Potter brought together legions of people from all sorts of nationalities, backgrounds, and personalities. Could such a thing die?
At the midnight release of Deathly Hallows part 2, some cried. Yes, I cried throughout the whole movie - it is simply impossible not to. But I laughed too. I cheered along with the theaterful of Potterheads when Ron and Hermione kissed, when Mrs. Weasley said her totally awesome "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU ***!", when Neville cut off Nagini's head. And after the epilogue, I definitely saw some people crying. But you know what? I couldn't cry. I would not let myself believe that Harry Potter was over. I had cried in the months before when trailers were released, and I nearly bawled when the big trio, the producers, David Yates, and J. K. Rowling said goodbye. YouTube is loaded with videos that made me cry in the weeks and months before July 15th, 2011. But now, as I look back, I only cried because they were beautiful. It is not the end. It never will be.
Harry Potter, 1990-forever.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe it's over already! I love Harry Potter so much. I think I'm like Luna.

    ReplyDelete