Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Decline of Snail Mail

Today I wanted to buy postcards to send to my teachers and classes in America. I went into a toy shop, which my mom said probably had them.

"Do you have postcards?" I asked. The woman shook her head.

"Snail mail isn't a thing anymore," she said. "We used to have them, when it still was. But people don't use it."

The decline of snail mail is something quite sad, in my opinion. Letters go back thousands of years - I mean, practically since the written word there has been some form of written message. Email has sort of replaced it. But isn't it thrilling, in a way, to look in your mailbox and to have something that someone sat down and wrote for you as much as weeks ago without anything from you? And packages are even better, but I don't think they're going anywhere for the moment - at least, not until a teleporter is invented. Which probably won't be anytime soon.

Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Never thought about it before, but it is sad. I've never gotten an actual letter in the mail before. Hmm.. Anyways, I think it's just a thing with modern technology and things like that. You don't have to use an actual postcard. You can use the side of a cereal box (or something smaller). :D

    ReplyDelete