Sunday, August 5, 2012

Book Survey


1. Favorite childhood book?
Define "childhood." But anyway, when I was younger I really liked Boxcar Children books by Gertrude Chandler Warner (some name, right?). Then I read Harry Potter and I couldn't read anything else for two months. After that I liked pretentious award-winning books. I still do, I guess.
2. What are you reading right now?
Physics for Future Presidents by Richard A. Muller, The King Must Die by Mary Renault, various Batman comics, and rereading books from my library.
3. What books do you have on request at the library?
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by I-forget-who, various Batman comics by various authors, etc. 
4. Bad book habit?
Insisting that I must keep reading even when I'm exhausted and my mind starts to wander so that I read whole pages and don't register a word. 
5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
Not including movies: All-Star Batman & Robin, the Boy Wonder, volume 1 written by Frank Miller, Scrawl: a novel by Mark Shulman, Batman: Haunted Knight by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale, Batman: The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale, Witness for the Prosecution, and other stories by Agatha Christie, Bad Boy: a memoir by Walter Dean Myers, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, Now and Forever by Ray Bradbury, Tamar by Mal Peet, Batman and Son by Grant Morrison, Batman: Battle for the Cowl by Tony S. Daniel, Batman: Dark Victory by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale, the aforementioned Physics for Future Presidents by Richard A. Muller, Gilgamesh, translated by Stephen Mitchell, The King Must Die by Mary Renault, The Batman Handbook by Scott Beatty, Marvel 1602 by Neil Gaiman, Catwoman: When in Rome by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale, and A User's Guide to the Universe by Dave Goldberg and Jeff Blomquist.
That makes me look Batman-obsessed. Batman does not rival the magnitude of my other obsessions.
6. Do you have an e-reader?
Yeah. A nook.
7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
It depends on the book. At the moment I am reading several less-engrossing books, but if they're really interesting, I'll figuratively swallow them whole one at a time. (Honestly, my throat can only take so much.)
8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
No? I don't think?
9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)
Uhhh...I don't know...I haven't read bad books, really...
10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
The complete works of John Green. They're good enough that I bought them. (I read Looking for Alaska in late 2011 but whatever.)
11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
Often, I guess, but out of my comfort zone sort of is my comfort zone, if that makes any sense. Like I said, I like award-winning books, so I do read those. And I'd like to be well-read, so earlier this year I read Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing which was great, even though I didn't understand every word. I would like to read the great classics as well.
Also, my friend is going to a pretentious high school next year and I said I would read all the books on her summer reading list. Which admittedly are only four. But damn, they're high-end. Gilgamesh, The King Must Die, Physics for Future Presidents, and Gulliver's Travels. So yeah.
12. What is your reading comfort zone?
Everything except erotica and most sci-fi.
13. Can you read on the bus?
Yeah, usually. Sometimes I get queasy, but not often. 
14. Favorite place to read?
On my bed, on the couch, or on the front steps.
15. What is your policy on book lending?
I am horrible at getting books back to people (it once took me five years), so if someone asks I'll lend it to them but I'll be sure to try to get them back.
16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
No. I am big on libraries and not buying books unless I really love them or I just should, so I try to preserve them as they are. That said, I did take a pencil and correct the it's-instead-of-its in Physics for Future Presidents. That is something that the next reader will benefit from, and will let me stop freaking out over it.
17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
Not usually. But see the previous question for a special case.
18. Not even with text books?
I wish I could. But most of them belong to the school. It would make it so much easier if I could write in them.
19. What is your favorite language to read in?
English. I ought to read more in Hebrew, especially as I've got some good books that aren't translated. I hate reading translations if I have the opportunity to read the original. I'd like to reach a level in French so that I could read all sorts of French literature.
20. What makes you love a book?
Good writing, believable characters, compelling plot.
21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
1. If I really like it or 2. if I would like to discuss it with someone. Why else?
22. Favorite genre?
Middle-grade and YA fiction. No vampires.
23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
Nonfiction/biographies or maybe more classics.
24. Favorite biography?
I prefer biographies of fictional characters. ;) Not really, I just don't read very many biographies.
25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
Unless you count The Feelings Book from American Girl, no, I don't think. 
26. Favorite cookbook?
I am not in the habit of reading cookbooks. However, The Crêpe-Makers' Pact by Julie Crabtree has some recipes in it. That was an enjoyable book.
27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
Paper Towns or The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, or maybe The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.
28. Favorite reading snack?
Anything?
29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
None that I can think of, but I'll come back to edit this if I do.
30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
I try not to read reviews because they influence me. I know it sounds a little crazy, but their opinions will make me vaguely question my own.
31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
I feel that if I don't like it, I don't have to say I like it.
32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you choose?
French, German, or Russian. Just because I love languages.
33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read? 
Can't think of any right now...
34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. I read a little bit and it creeped me out.
35. Favorite Poet?
I love poetry, but I don't have a favorite.
36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
Around twenty.
37. How often have you returned book to the library unread?
A few times, just because they were 1. on hold or 2. overdue and not renewable.
38. Favorite fictional character? 
Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood, Margo Roth Spiegelman, Hazel Grace Lancaster, Pudge Halter, Severus Snape.
39. Favorite fictional villain?
Severus Snape or Draco Malfoy. Amazing characters.
40. Books you’re most likely to bring on vacation?
I bring anything I can on vacation! Probably things I'm reading or am looking forward to reading.
41. The longest you’ve gone without reading.
Perhaps a month. It did not end well.
42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein. But my brother has recently read/listened to it and I can't let him out-read me. 
43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
My thoughts. They are extremely loud.
44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
Hugo. We are calling The Invention of Hugo Cabret a novel, right?
45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. It did not scare me like it should have.
46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
Over $100, at Strand Bookstore in New York City. That's the only place I allow myself to buy books without having read them yet. 
47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
Never. Ever.
48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
Slow plot. I can't deal with it!
49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
I used to. But since I just decided to give away a lot of my books, I haven't really kept them organized. I don't really have too many because of my commitment to not-buying-until-I-have-really-thought-about-it-long-and-hard, so organization isn't all that important, I just need them to be on the shelves.
50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
Keep and lend.
51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
Twilight. I REFUSE.
52. Name a book that made you angry.
Mockingjay. Just - so depressing and screwed-up. I felt horrible after reading that and I was already not the sanest of people, so that's definitely not good.
53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
Harry Potter, funnily enough. I had been avoiding it for a while because people had told me it was "scary" and "hard" so even when it was recommended to me, I didn't read it. Until my fourth-grade teacher read it aloud to us. Then I couldn't stop reading it. Still can't, really.
54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
Again: Mockingjay. WHY, Suzanne Collins, WHY?
55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
Rereading books I like. And I don't really read except for pleasure - I mean, I try to enjoy even assigned books. That said, I'm not a great fan of textbooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment