Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Family Weirdness

My family is weird. That is something long-established.

We were at the Cheesecake Factory and I was talking to my mom about a few weird things that some normal families do.

1. Parents not drinking coffee. As long as I can remember, the coffee ritual has been an important one in my family. When I was two I spilled hot espresso on my hand when I was sitting on my mom's lap. Back when I still woke up at seven, I would come downstairs and wait until my parents had finished with their coffee and only then would we eat. I had no idea it was even possible for adults not to drink coffee until I was maybe eleven.

2. Not taking leftovers home after eating out. I have eaten with a few families who do this and, while I'm not saying it's bad, it makes me ridiculously uncomfortable. My mom pointed out that most of those families are not descendants of Holocaust survivors or children of wars. It is worth mentioning that the amount we waste in our household is enormous compared with what my grandmother throws away in her house. It's a dismal thing to say, but it's true. War makes people think differently. My great aunt once told me that children of the war are not people who want much for themselves, they are people who want much for their children.

3. Not always having a parent home most of the time. My parents work in fields in which it is usually not terrible to call in sick or need to stay home with sick children, and often they are not far away. Each afternoon, there will always be a parent home - not always during the school day or evening, but they will always be able to transport us from place to place.

So there you have it, three things that I find strange about normal people coupled with analysis. Have a lovely normal (weird) life!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I removed it... awkward... :P

      Anyway, I wanted to say that I think every family is weird in its own way. Yeah, sure, you may look at other families and think that they are stereotypically "normal." What it normal, though?

      Just a thought. :)

      Delete